US defense expert Jay Tuck was executive news director of the daily network program Tagesthemen on ARD Television. In his 35 years at the German network, he produced over 500 television segments. He served twice as combat correspondent in Iraq. His investigative reports on security policy, espionage activities and weapons technology appear in leading publications in Europe, including Cicero, Focus, Le Point, Stern, Welt and ZEITmagazin. He is author of "High-Tech Espionage", published in fourteen countries. For his current book, "Evolution without Us", he interviewed drone pilots and intelligence sources, futurists and Silicon Valley specialists in a 3 year exclusive research. Now out in Germany (Plassen Publishing), the technology bestseller will be appearing in Chinese in early spring (Shanghai University Press).
Jay Tuck is an internationally acclaimed speaker whose lively talks are accompanied by exclusive video and photographs. His TED-Talk reached over 1 1/2 million views on the internet. Tuck speaks to private banks and financial institutions (World Bank, Chambers of Commerce, Patrizia), to gala events (Deloitte, ServicePlan), Media and Medical Congresses (WAZ, Universitätsklinikum Essen), Innovation and Research Symposia (Vodafone, Xing), as well as security, armed forces and law enforcement conferences (Academy of the Bundeswehr, Sicherheitsgespräche 2017).
Author & Keynote Speaker (1985 - today) Europe / USA
Aramea Asset Management, BearingPoint, Berliner Sicherheitskonferenz (BDK), Bundesinnenministerium, Clausewitz Gesellschaft Führungsakademie, CMS Hasche Sigle, Datenschutzbeauftragter Thüringen, Deloitte, Digital Mind Change, German Engineers Conference, Xing Digital MindChange, GIZ Stakeholder Tag, Diconium Talks, Goethe Universität Zukunftssymposium, Hamburg-US-Economic Forum, Hamburg@Work, Handelskammer Hamburg, Handelskammer Lübeck, Handelskammer Cologne, Handelskammer Dubai, Insurance.Dialog, Konrad-Adenauer Foundation, MEADFA Dubai, N24 TV, n-tv, Patrizia Real Estate Fond, Private Banking Congress, Pro7 TV, ServicePlan, Social Media Week, Sonar Istanbul, Sparkasse Wiesenthal, Springer Messe, Tagesschau 24 TV, TEDx Forum Hamburg, University Leiden NL, Vodafone Enterprise, WAZ Future Forum, World Bank and Xing.
Consultant (1985 - today) Europe / USA
Jay Tuck consults for international companies on media politics, as well as strategies for business in the Middle East.
Airtime Dubai Ltd (2004 - present) Dubai, UAE
- Founder and CEO of international media company serving Arabic broadcasters in the MENA Region (www.airtime.ae).
- Executive Producer of An Kathab. Broadcasting weekly to 30 Million viewers in Arabic on Al-Jazeera News Channel, this high-tech news magazine presents the latest on the urgent science and technology issues that are changing our lives.
- Producer for German Television, including award-winning films and feature-length documentaries for 3sat, N24 News Channel, MDR-Television, Phoenix Channel, National Geographic Television and ZDF-German Television.
ARD German Television Network (1971 - 2004) Hamburg, Germany
- For over thirty years in positions of major editorial responsibility at ARD, Europe's largest television network.
- Executive News Editor of ARD-Tagesthemen (1996 - 2003). Responsible for all aspects of broadcast content on leading daily network television news magazine. All work in the German language.
- War Correspondent in two Gulf Wars (1991 & 2002). Covered the fighting war under combat conditions for ARD-Tagesschau. Reported from Saudi Arabia, post-war Iraq and traveled with the first convoy into liberated Kuwait, facing hostile fire repeatedly. Filed over 100 network television and radio items from the war zone, responsible for content, as well as the health and safety of the ARD crew.
- Foreign Editor of ARD-Tagesthemen (1989 - 1996). Responsible for assignments, communication, satellites and travel of ARD's 42 foreign correspondents.
Author (1985 - 1987) Europe / USA
- Author of "Evolution without Us" (Plassen Publishing, Germany), an investigative non-fiction book that was under the top-twenty technology best-sellers on Amazon. Soon to appear in Chinese (Shanghai University Press).
- Author of High-Tech Espionage (hardcover, St. Martin's Press, New York), which also appeared as The T Directorate (paperback, St. Martin's Press, New York), High-Tech Espionage (hardcover & paperback, Sidgwick & Jackson, London), La Guerre des Ordinateurs (Plon, Paris), Il Gioco della Conchiglia (ADN Kronus, Rome), The Computer War (Roes Publishing, Athens) and Die Computerspione (Heyne Verlag, Munich).
- Author and Co-Publisher of espionage book Direktorat T (Kriminalistik Verlag, Heidelberg).
Voice Talent / Announcer (1969 - present) Europe / USA
- Professional announcer for high-end television, radio & cinema commercials. Clients have included Agfa, Airbus, AOL, Bacardi, Bertelsmann, Coca Cola, DMB & B, Deutsche Grammaphon, Exxon, Gordon’s Gin, Haynes, Jim Beam, Joop, Lufthansa, Link Entertainment (New York), Manhattan Transfer (Miami), Marlboro, Mercedes, Nintendo, Peugeot, Sony Music, Springer & Jacoby, Southern Comfort, Telekom and VO Whiskey. Voice samples are available at web site www.FilmVoices.com.
- Narrator in original version of the Hollywood film “Alone in the Dark” starring Christian Slater.
- NDR & SWF Radio (1969 - 1978): "The Jay Tuck Show", as satirist and disc jockey.
IT Consulting (1989 - 1995) Germany
- ARD Network News, Hamburg (1989 - 1995): Customized broadcasting software for ARD Network News in Hamburg, designing architecture, composing keyboard macros and training personnel as computers were introduced into the newsroom.
- SAT-1, MDR Television, MDR Radio, WDR local TV and BR Television in Germany: As a consultant customized similar software applications for newsrooms.
- ARD Bureau Moscow: Designed and consulted on satellite networking system to improve telephone & IT communications between ARD and its Moscow Bureau during Soviet Era.
- Norcom Systems, Munich: IT consulting on user interfaces & newsroom system design for television broadcasters.
Pre-Europe Work Experience (1968 - 1969) New York
- CBS Network News: Assistant Producer on feature-length documentary about nursing homes.
- Commonwealth United: Production assistant on cinema documentary “King” covering the life of Dr. Martin Luther King (nominated for an Academy Award).
Antioch University, BA (1963 - 1969) Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Bachelor of Arts Degree (economics)
- Work-Study jobs included U.S. Treasury and U.S. Federal Trade Commission in Washington, social work in Harlem, journalist at Mooresville Times in Indiana and Radio Station Manager at WYSO in Ohio.
Recreation Omsk, Russia
- Marathons. 1st American ever to run Siberian Ice Half-Marathon (2000, 2001, 2002).
- Full marathons in Berlin and Hamburg.